|The Taylor Bennett Foundation’s award-winning work-based PR training programme exists to encourage BAME graduates to pursue a career in communications.
Over ten weeks as a paid trainee you will receive professional training in communications, the media and business, take part in practical assignments that improve and demonstrate your PR skills, and receive specialist careers advice as you start your job hunt. You will also meet leading people in the PR and media industries – details of some of the organisations that have hosted visits from previous trainees are given here.
APPLY NOW FOR AUTUMN 2014 PROGRAMME
• The Taylor Bennett Foundation work-based PR training programme is an 8-10 week full-time training course in public relations, designed to equip participants with relevant skills to work in the PR and corporate communications industry.
• There are four programmes each year, each sponsored by a different PR agency. Details of confirmed dates and sponsors are given below.
• Participants receive formal training, meet leading practitioners from the communications business, and participate in practical PR-related projects.
• The training programme runs for an 8-10 week period, during which participants are paid a training allowance and receive travel expenses.
• There is no promise of employment at the end of this programme, but participants will receive expert careers coaching.
• The programme is aimed at BAME graduates who have graduated in the past three years.
• First degree or post-graduate applicants are welcome.
• Applicants should have an interest in pursuing a career in public relations or corporate communications in the UK, but are not required to have any previous experience in this industry.
• The programme is intended to prepare graduates to work in PR in the UK and to address the lack of diversity in this country. For this reason, although the programme does not guarantee subsequent employment, applicants must have the right to work indefinitely in the UK. Proof of this right will be required.
• Applicants must be able to commit for the full ten-week programme. The programme is a full-time commitment, with an trainee’s day running from 9.30am to 5.30pm, Monday to Friday in Central London, with occasional early starts and frequent evening events to attend.
• Trainees sign up to a rigorous and intensive 8-10 week training programme. It is a full-time commitment.
• Whilst the trainee’s day will formally start at 9.30am and finish at 5.30pm each day in Central London, in practice they will have to fit in homework, group exercises and networking outside of those hours.
• It is not uncommon for our ambitious trainees to burn the midnight oil as they try to maximise their learning and work to meet their presentation deadlines.
• In our experience, the more trainees put in to the training, the more they get out, and the more they shine – making them better equipped for their careers.
• Trainees will receive a training allowance of £210 per week which is tax and NI free.
• Trainees will receive a travel allowance from home to Zone 1 for the duration of the programme.
• Trainees will be based primarily at the Taylor Bennett Foundation’s offices in Shoreditch E1, in central London (nearest stations are Shoreditch High Street, Liverpool Street and Old Street). Assignments and training sessions will take trainees to other parts of London and, occasionally, beyond. A travel allowance will be given.
• Office hours are 9.30am – 5.30pm and trainees will be required to attend the programme between these hours for the duration of the training course. Applicants who live a long way from Shoreditch should consider their journey times before they apply.
• Trainees’ time will be split between formal training workshops, visits to communications and media companies around London, and participating in practical PR-related projects. They will also have a weekly session at the offices of Taylor Bennett, and another at the offices of the sponsor PR agency (Brunswick, Talk PR, Edelman or MHP).
• While on the programme, trainees will gain skills, knowledge, and practical experience in the following areas:
Public Relations & Communications: Stakeholders, channels and messages, sectors within PR, the role of agencies and in-house teams, the role of a PR executive, planning a campaign, journalist relationships, writing a press release, preparing and delivering presentations, corporate events and announcements, pitching for work, the role of the CEO in corporate communications, crisis management, corporate reputation, corporate social responsibility, how PR fits in with marketing and advertising.
Finance (on those programmes with a corporate/finance focus): Understanding the City and investment markets, investor relations, financial PR. Trainees will also receive specialist financial and corporate communications training from Finance Talking.
Media: The news media in the UK, how a newspaper works, what makes a good news story, how the media is changing, business media, broadcast media, regional and local media, magazines, the role of the internet and social media, the UK political process.
Media Skills: Grammar and writing skills, researching stories, reviewing, the art of blogging, copyright and media law.
Web & IT: Email etiquette, web research, office and Powerpoint best practice, Apple Mac skills, using a server.
Office Skills: Dress codes and etiquette, time management, team work and interpersonal skills, telephone skills, office equipment, health & safety.
Your Career: Career planning, CV writing, personal networks – how to develop and use them, job search, job applications, job interview techniques.
• This training will be delivered through lectures, workshops, meetings with practitioners, practical assignments and visits to PR and media companies in central London.
• We would emphasise that participation in this training programme does not guarantee future work; it is purely a training opportunity to provide the successful candidates with the skills to pursue future employment opportunities in PR.
• All trainees will receive extensive skills coaching and careers advice and will leave the programme better prepared to find the right job and launch their career. We will provide all participants with references and help them with their CV and portfolio.